History of Dutchess County, by James H. Smith (Published 1882)
Chapter 15 - Military History - War of the Revolution - Page 139
Considerable bodies of troops were stationed in Fishkill at different periods. The Wharton House, named from Mr. Wharton, who then owned it, and made memorable by Cooper's story of The Spy, but now the residence of Sidney E. VanWyck, was the head-quarters of the officers. The house stands a short distance south of the village, on the turnpike, near the foot of the mountains.
The barracks extended along the road, a half-mile south of the village, in close proximity to the house. Near this residence, "by the large black-walnut trees," says Mr. Brinkerhoff, before quoted, "and east of the road near the base of the mountain, was the soldier's burial ground." This almost unknown and unnoticed burial-ground holds not a few, but hundreds of those who gave their lives for the cause of American Independence.
Some fifteen years ago, [about 1861], an old lady who was then living at an advanced age, and who had lived near the village until after she had grown to womanhood, told the writer that after the battle of White Plains she went with her father through the streets of Fishkill, and in places between the Dutch and Episcopal churches the dead were piled up as high as a cord of wood. These were buried there. The wounded of the battle who afterwards died, were buried there. The constant stream of death from the hospitals were buried there. The small-pox, which broke out in the camp, and prevailed very malignantly added many more."
The same writer adds, "it is doubtful whether any spot in the State has as many of the buried dead of the Revolution as this quiet spot." Some of the hospitals were located in the barracks, others, in more immediate vicinity of the village. The Episcopal church was used for that purpose when needed; also the Dutch church, though less often. The academy building was likewise used for hospital purposes; and finally the Presbyterian church. [...]